Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Blessing

This is a memory recorded because it is something Tray wants to remember forever (and I do to). Last night at supper we said the blessing like normal at the beginning of the meal. For our family this is not a time to ask God for anything, but rather to give thanks for what we already have. As most blessings tend to, ours has become somewhat set, "Thank you for this food. Thank you for each other. Thank you for our families. And thank you for a really nice day. Amen." I also don't believe that you have to wait to eat anything until the blessing is said. That belief borders on superstitious to me. So usually what happens is that I get Penny's plate and her at the table eating while Tray and I might still be finishing prepping our plates. Then once we all sit down she'll usually initiate the blessing. She never wants to say the blessing in terms of her actually being the one to say it. She usually wants me to. So I did like normal. Then about halfway through the meal she says, "I want to say the blessing." We told her we already had. She said, "I want to say it again." Tray asked her if she wanted to say it. She said, "yeah," and closed her eyes. And then nothing. She took the question to mean that she wanted to "say the blessing" as in close her eyes while I said it. Tray said, "no, do you want to say the blessing? Do you want to say something? What do you want to say?" She looked at him and goes, "I love you." It was the sweetest, most genuine thing I have ever heard. I thought Tray was going to cry.

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers