Thursday, June 16, 2011

Regression

I won't write about my new nephew Ethan since his parents haven't posted pictures or anything of their own yet. I don't want to jump the gun. So, instead, I am going to write about Penny's reaction to meeting Ethan. In a word: jealous. She was very interested in looking at him, but she refused to hug him, kiss him, or even say his name. She was obviously concerned that everyone seemed more interested in him than in her. She kept trying to get people's attention to come play or sit with her. After I got to hold Ethan for a bit all wrapped up in his swaddling blanket, and I had passed him to someone else, she came over to me and reached up with her arms and said, "my turn." I figured she was sad and wanted some reassurance from me, so I was more than happy to pick her up and give her a hug. But that's not what she wanted. As soon as I got her off the ground, she immediately flopped over on her side for me to carry her like a baby - like I haven't carried her in over a year. The whole room (me included) just died laughing, and the whole time every time I could catch a breath to stop and look at her, she would squeeze her eyes shut and try to look serene. And that would make me laugh even harder. I could not believe how jealous she was. I think this is fairly normal though. I saw a blog post from one of my favorite bloggers that just had another baby. Her two year old son climbed up into the clear bassinet thing that they bring the baby to your room in and attempted to curl up inside of it. Isn't it funny how they try to revert to being babies to catch your attention?

So anyway, since we got back I haven't mentioned Ethan much to her since it obviously upsets her. The first day back she was clingier than normal, but that's settled down. However, while we were at the hospital she watched the nurse show everyone how to swaddle Ethan "like a burrito." And so every night when I wrap Penny up in her hooded towel after her bath, she wants to be wrapped up "like a burrito." Last night, she wanted me to carry her sideways again wrapped up in her towel and she said, "like my cousin Ethan." That's the first time I'd heard her say his name, and it was very sweet (but it took two and a half days before she'd say it). She's still working it all out for sure. I knew this could happen with siblings, but I'm shocked she's had such a strong reaction to a cousin. Maybe it's because she's just at that age where she's realizing that she's not a baby anymore, but is scared to be too grown up.

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers