Thursday, July 22, 2010

Birthday Milestones

We had a really low-key, but fun, birthday celebration with Penny. We went for a boat ride on the Wakulla River and had a good time. We ate cake and opened presents. I believe there may have been balloons and streamers and possibly even party hats (which Penny called pig hats after her If You Give a Pig a Party book). Penny liked all her presents - a toy airplane, tractor, book, and assorted cooking implements (for her play stove). I also got her a tea set. She doesn't recognize it as a tea pot though. She thinks it is a watering can for watering flowers! Ha!

In taking stock of the day, it's just amazing how much she has changed since two years ago when she first came into the world. I don't know what it is exactly, but both Tray and I noticed starting about a week ago that she seems to have made another "great leap forward" verbally (Sorry - just finished the China section of my World class). I think it's partly that she can talk about past tense and future tense things now. She will talk about things that she did and will do. She's also really into figuring out her "opposites" - she likes big and little, in and out, under and over, etc. and likes playing games with herself and us that involve getting to demonstrate/practice this, like climbing over and under our legs when we are sitting down.

Also, she has become more engaged in pretend play. She will talk to her animals and Gigi-baby and ask them questions and have them do things. She laid on the bed the other day and said she was going to sleep, but then she sat up and let me know, "I not go sleep. I 'tend go sleep." Then I was joking around with her to see if I could get her to pretend to be various animals and she flapped her arms when I asked her to pretend to be a bird. It was pretty cool.

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers