Belly Laughing. I know I have mentioned her belly laughs in previous posts. Well, she seemed to sort of put that aside to develop her hand dexterity. She laughed for a few days, and then no more for awhile while her grasping abilities took off. The last two or three days though have seen a dramatic increase in the belly laughs. The thing that I've noticed gets the most laughs right now is to put your face right up against hers and if you do this with sound effects, so much the better. The video I posted with the bear showed her smiling and giggling a little bit, but now she actually laughs.
Here is a video of her laughing. It still doesn't quite capture the full-on belly laugh, but it comes close.
Kicking. One day last week we had dinner at our friends' house. They have a baby boy who was born the week after Penny. I was struck by the fact that he seemed to notice his feet and play with his socks, etc. As far as I know Penny is not aware that she has feet. :) Anyway, starting the day before yesterday, but really getting going yesterday she is pulling both of her knees up to her chest and kicking her feet up in the air. I saw her almost roll over doing this yesterday. Also, we gave her a bath last night and she starting kicking just a little bit in the bath water. I think she is figuring out that her legs and feet can do cool stuff too.
Here's a video showing her kicking her legs up. It's really more of a video showing how she can grasp toys now, but it does show her legs pretty well too.
Standing up. The girl wants to stand. If you pull on her hands to pull her up into a seated position she now sticks her feet up underneath her and pulls on up to standing. She won't let you stop at sitting. And you can feel her do it too. I don't pull her up to standing - she does it completely by herself. And I'll just lightly hold her under her arms. She stands there and looks around and if it weren't for the balance issue, she could completely stand there by herself. A lot of times now if she's fussy laying down or sitting we stand her up and she settles down. She thinks it is great fun to see the world from this perspective. I was in the kitchen cooking - stirring green beans - and Tray stood her up on the counter across the kitchen. She watched me stir those green beans and laughed and laughed (of course I made an exaggerated show of it).
Tummy time. I've been trying to work with Penny in learning to roll over. I push her over from her back onto her tummy without moving her arm out from under her so that it is easier for her to roll back onto her back. But she has had enough of that game and almost as soon as I get her rolled over, she pulls her arm out from under her and props herself up on her arms and looks around for the longest time. She used to get tired of being on her tummy rather quickly, but now she can stay there for a long time - and that's just been in the last two days or so as well.
Sticking her tongue out. This is daddy's doing. He read in a book that babies will imitate your facial expressions, including sticking your tongue out. So he had to try it. Sure enough she'll copy you sticking your tongue out. But now she won't stop. Yesterday morning she woke up and looked at me and stuck her tongue out. The child is a nut. It's been fun to watch though because you can tell she's trying to figure out when this behavior is appropriate (if you can call sticking your tongue out appropriate) and when it isn't. It's like she tries it a different times to see what our reaction will be. Also, I laid her down on the changing table to change her diaper and she stuck her tongue out at me with such a mischievous look on her face. It caught me off guard and was so funny that I starting laughing very heartily. She started laughing and seemed so pleased that she had made me laugh. It was like she was proud that she had made a joke instead of me making her laugh.

Other developments. These aren't necessarily her things, just stuff that's been happening. She's started drooling in the last week, so now we put bibs on her to keep her shirts dry. She has on a lamb bib in the photo above. Her sleep has been kind of weird too. At about 8 weeks she started sleeping consistently from midnight until 7. Gradually she started going to bed earlier and earlier so that eventually she went to bed at 11 and sometimes 1030. Right about the time of the time change she started going to bed at 10. Then the time changed and that became 9 and then she started going to sleep at 830. Well, the last week she has reverted back to going to sleep at 10. I don't know why. She had dropped that last evening feeding so that she was eating 6 times a day instead of 7, but now it seems like she wants that 7th feeding again. Maybe that accounts for all the development listed above?
Anyway, we are having so much fun with our little peanut. She's a hoot - laughing and smiling all the time. She doesn't cry very much at all anymore, only when she is sleepy but doesn't want to go to sleep. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment