Thursday, January 29, 2009

Penelope Developments

Thank you to everyone for checking in with us the past few days. It is strange not to see Catfish around the house anymore, and we do miss him a lot.

It has been awhile since I posted about any of Penny's new milestones. I started solid foods this past Sunday. I've been giving her a bit of rice cereal after she nurses at lunch. Yesterday she ate a teaspoon and a half, but today hardly any. I think she just wasn't hungry. Anyway, she almost always tries to grab the spoon from me, and interestingly if I give it to her she puts it in her mouth the correct way - she just doesn't have quite the level of control to keep the food on the spoon. It does make for slow going though having to constantly get her to let go of the spoon so I can dip some more. I enjoy it though; she's really cute.



In other development news, she can sit up now. She can't actually sit up by herself, but if I put her in a seated position she can stay there. In fact, today I sat her up to play with some toys and left the room for a minute (I could still see her from where I was) and she stayed sitting up the whole time I was doing other things. She will eventually fall over, but every time she stays seated for longer and longer.



She's also gotten back into the tongue sticking out thing after having taken a break from it for awhile:

2 comments:

Troy Mom said...

She is sooooo cute and looks so serious when she is sitting up with her arm straight out (for balance?). I can hardly wait until next weekend to see all her newest acomplishments in person.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sam, I just noticed your site on my referral page and decided to stop by - thanks for the link. I'm sorry hear that Catfish died. From your description he seems like he was quite a cat.

I have three kids, aged 8, 6, and 2 so I can remember the spoon-feeding age with great clarity. (One of the few things I remember with clarity - sleep deprivation and multi-tasking have cast a fog about just about everything else). Theo, our youngest, hated solid food, but came around on the second or third try.

Sitting up: I remember arranging pillows around Tess in 360 degrees. Then somehow she was able to pivot, push off, and face plant on the linoleum just outside of my pillow circle. I remember that one.

In any event, good luck with solids. I found each new food so liberating for me and baby. Fewer milk and formula dilemmas, then from pureed foods to "real food," that was a new horizon, the discovery of the New World.

All best,
Michael

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers